STEUBEN COUNTY HEALTH
Steuben County shall not require a third party
guarantee of payment as a condition of admission, expedited admission or
The facility shall not charge, solicit, accept or receive in addition to the basic daily rate or any amount as otherwise required to be paid by third party payers, any gift, money, or other consideration as a precondition of admission, expedited admission or continued stay. Prepayment for basic services may be required, provided that does not exceed an amount comparable to three month's care.
The facility may solicit, accept and receive charitable donations as long as they are not a condition of admission, expedited admission, or continued stay.
The facility may require an individual who has legal access to your income or resources to sign an agreement to pay for care without incurring personal financial liability.
The facility shall not require residents or potential residents to waive their rights to Medicaid or Medicare, or require any assurance that residents or potential residents are not eligible for or will not apply for Medicare or Medicaid benefits.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to furnish a written description of your legal rights which includes:
1. Our manner of protecting personal funds, which is: We do not recommend that money or valuables be kept in resident's rooms. For your convenience a Safekeeping Account may be set up in the Business Office in the name of the resident. Office Hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Withdrawals of funds from the Safekeeping Account will be recorded and shown on the quarterly statement and on request to the resident or his/her legal representative.
2. A statement that you may file a complaint with the facility or the New York State Department of Health concerning resident abuse, neglect, and misappropriation of property within the facility. The statement includes the name, address and telephone number of the office established by the Department of Health to receive complaints and of the State Office for the Aging Ombudsman Program.
NEW YORK STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH
ROCHESTER AREA OFFICE
BEVIER BUILDING, 42 SOUTH WASHINGTON STREET
ROCHESTER, NEW YORK 14608
HOTLINE (888) 201-4563
STEUBEN COUNTY OFFICE FOR AGING OMBUDSMAN PROGRAM
117 EAST STEUBEN STREET
BATH, NEW YORK 14810
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to promptly notify you or your designated representative when there is a decision made to change a resident's room.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to inform each resident verbally, and in writing, before or at the time of, admission and periodically when changes occur, of services available in the facility and of changes not covered by sources of third party payment or included in the basic daily rate.
Steuben County Health Care Facility will provide oral and written information about how to apply for and use Medicare and Medicaid benefits and how to receive refunds for previous payments for such benefits.
TRANSFER AND DISCHARGE RESPONSIBILITIES
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to retain you in the facility and not transfer or discharge you unless such transfer or discharge is made in recognition of your right to receive considerate and respectful care, necessary care and services, to participate in the development of the comprehensive care plan and in the recognition of the rights of other residents.
TRANSFER OR DISCHARGE MAY OCCUR ONLY WHEN:
1. It is necessary for your welfare and your needs cannot be met after reasonable attempts to maintain you in the present setting.
2. It is appropriate because your health has improved sufficiently so that you no longer need the services in your present setting.
3. The health or safety of individuals in the facility is endangered and all reasonable alternatives to transfer and discharge have been explored and fail to safely address the problem.
TRANSFER OR DISCHARGE MAY ALSO OCCUR WHEN:
1. You have failed, after reasonable notice, to pay for your stay, or to have Medicare, Medicaid or a third party pay for your care.
Such a transfer or discharge may occur only if a charge is not in dispute, no appeal is pending and funds are actually available and you refuse to
cooperate in obtaining the funds.
2. The facility discontinues operation and the plan of closure is approved by the New York State Department of Health.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to
ensure that complete documentation is made in your clinical record when transfer
or discharge is necessary.
DOCUMENTATION SHALL BE MADE BY:
1. Your physician and the interdisciplinary care team when it is indicated because of changes in your health status and,
2. Your physician when it is necessary due to endangerment of the health of others in the facility.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible before you are transferred or discharged to:
a) Notify you, and your designated representative of the reasons.
b) Record the reasons in your clinical record.
c) Include your right to appeal the decision in the notice given you.
Thirty (30) days notice of transfer or discharge is required unless:
a) The safety of individual in the facility is endangered.
b) The health of the individuals in the facility is endangered.
c) Your health improves sufficiently to allow a more immediate transfer or discharge.
d) Your urgent medical needs require a more immediate transfer or discharge.
e) The transfer or discharge is at your request.
Included in the written notice for purpose of appeal will be the following:
a) Current phone numbers for the State Department of Health and the State Department of Social Services for those receiving Medicaid.
b) The name, address, and telephone number of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman and,
c) For residents who are mentally ill or have developmental disabilities, the mailing address and telephone number of the Commission on quality of Care for the Mentally Disabled.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to
provide sufficient preparation and orientation to residents to ensure safe and
orderly transfer and discharge including the opportunity to participate in the
decision where to go.
Appeals of transfer or discharge made to the Department of Health must be given the right to:
a) A pre-transfer, on site fair hearing, if the appeal is made within 15 days of notice and there is no immediate danger to others.
b) Remain in Steuben County Health Care Facility pending an appeal determination.
c) Have a post transfer hearing with 30 days of transfer if you did not request a hearing prior to transfer.
d) Return to the first available bed if you win the appeal.
e) Examine your medical records.
The presiding officer shall have the power to obtain
medical and psychosocial consultations.
The burden of proof that the transfer is/was appropriate is on the facility.
In the cases involving imminent danger to others, the transfer may be arranged before the hearing, but the bed must be held. A private pay patient may be charged for the time the bed was held if the transfer is ruled appropriate. If transfer is ruled inappropriate, readmission of the resident will be on a priority basis.
The Health Department will review and render a decision on an appeal within 15 days of the request. If an appeal's decision rendered after discharge finds that discharge or transfer was inappropriate, Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to readmit you before any other person.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to establish and implement a bed hold policy and readmission policy that reflects the following:
1) You and a designated representative must be informed verbally and in writing at the time of admission and at the time of transfer for any reason of the following:
a) the duration of the bed hold policy
b) Steuben County Health Care Facility Policy regarding bed hold periods relevant to the therapeutic leave and hospitalization.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is
responsible to establish and follow a written policy under which a resident who
is eligible for Medicaid services requires the service of the facility and
exceeds the bed hold period while hospitalized or on therapeutic leave is able
to be readmitted immediately upon the first available semiprivate bed.
Steuben County Health Care Facility is responsible to assure equal access to quality care and establish and maintain identical policies and practices regarding transfer, discharge and the provision of all required services regardless of the source of payment.
Click Logo to go Back